Monday, May 30, 2005

Only in Texas

Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages -- gather 'round, for I have a confession to make:

I have been disrespectful of the Texas Legislature.

Yes, I know, it's difficult to believe (unless, of course, you happen to have read the previous post). But I assure you, it's true. I have joked about their incompetence. I have bewailed the start of session. I have referred to Will Rogers' comment about not writing jokes, just reporting on Congress.

Mea culpa, mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

But I have seen the error of my ways. I have turned a new leaf. I have . . . oh, enough already. You want to know what caused this change of heart, don't you?

The Texas Lege, folks, has now set a new standard of speed and efficiency. A new standard which I defy any other state body -- nay, even the U.S. Congress -- to meet, much less exceed.

In the waning hours of the current session, a committee was needed to iron out the differences between the House and Senate versions of the same bill. The committee would have to work out a compromise, write and issue a report and get it to the reps so a vote could be taken. With mere hours to go, House Speaker Tom Craddick named the House members of the committee on Saturday morning. A very short deadline, as the session was due to end Sunday.

But not to worry!! In an unmatched display of a heretofore-unseen sense of urgency, the committee's report was printed and distributed on Friday!!! Yes, you read that right, the committee wrote, published, and distributed the report before the members were even named!!!

And to add to their glory, the humble public servants who managed this miracle insist upon anonymity. Not one single person is claiming credit for this feat.

Take that, you other 49 states. Only in Texas!!!!



1 comment:

Third Base Line said...

That report wouldn't happen to mirror the Honorable Mr. Craddick's position on the issue, would it?